How To Cook Coconut Rice
It’s not an exaggeration that average Nigerians eat rice three to four times a week. Rice is easy to prepare, preparation is time-efficient, and its versatility makes it a very lovable delicacy.
Coconut rice is nutritious, sweeter than normal rice, and easy to prepare. Surprise friends and family with coconut rice, by learning its a preparation from our simple recipes.
- 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 5 green chilies
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 1 medium-sized onion;
- 3 cups long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper;
- 2 tablespoon of ground crayfish
- 2 large coconuts or 3 cups coconut milk
The above are the ingredients needed to prepare coconut rice.
- If you are making use of fresh coconut, use a hammer or mallet to crack it, and save the white edible part, in a container.
- Use a knife to slice the coconut into small pieces, put these pieces into a blender, with a half cup of water and blend for like 6 minutes.
- Pour the blended coconut into a sieve or cheesecloth, and sieve the milk out of the shaft, apply pressure to ensure you squeeze out all the milk.
- Proceed to parboil your rice (parboiling shouldn’t take more than 7 minutes) once you are done parboiling, pour the rice into a container, and rinse. Repeat this process till your rice is cool, then set aside.
- Heat a separate pot, add little coconut oil, to help spice up the taste of the food, add onions, garlic, chopped pepper, ginger (don’t add crayfish yet) sauté for 5 mins
- It’s time to add your premade coconut milk, add your parboiled rice, and the chicken stock. Endeavor to make enough coconut milk, so you can always add when the rice runs dry.
- Add your crayfish once the rice is almost done, mix together to ensure even distribution of the ingredients, and allow it to simmer.