Vice-Chancellor at Federal University, Gashua
Location: Gashua, Yobe
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Academic and Executive Officer of the University and Chairman of the Senate and Congregation and Member of the University Governing Council.
- He shall exercise general supervision over the University and shall have a general responsibility to Council for maintaining peace, law, and order and promoting efficiency in the University.
- It shall be the duty of the Vice-Chancellor to ensure that the provisions of the Law and Statutes, Ordinances, and Regulations of the University are observed.
- He shall also exercise such powers as may be necessary or expedient for this purpose.
- The Candidate for the post of the Vice-Chancellor must possess a good University education from a recognized University and should be of impeccable character, and a good manager of human and material resources.
Specifically, the Candidate shall be expected to:
- Should have had a continuous unbroken twenty (20) years of teaching and research in the university system;
- Be a highly distinguished scholar of the rank of Professor with not less than seven (7) years of experience in that rank and demonstrate the ability to provide academic and administrative leadership with a clear vision for the development of the young and budding institution for the realization of its mission;
- Be proficient in IT and be current in deploying it at the level required for efficient job performance;
- He/she should have had a wide administrative experience and be capable of giving dynamic leadership with a thorough working knowledge of Nigeria’s educational system;
- Be a person who will strengthen the bridges between staff, students, and other members of the University community;
- Be one with high scholastic and academic credentials who must have outstanding accomplishments in academics and demonstrate continuous scholarship after his / her promotion to the rank of Professor in terms of continuous production of academic papers, student supervision (especially Masters and Ph.D.), exchanges, and collaborations both local, national and international;
- He/she must also have a subsisting teaching or research position in a University
- Have both national and international reputation as a scholar, particularly in Universities both in Nigeria and abroad in such areas as sabbatical, supervision, and examination of postgraduate students, and international consultancy;
- Be a person who is not likely to foster personal, racial, ethnic, political, religious, or other sectional interests;
- Be a person who commands respect in national and international academic circles with an academic track record, eg. publications;
- Exhibit a demonstrable entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract the much-needed funds and mobilize other resources for the development of the University;
- Be free from any form of financial embarrassment;
- Be of good physical and mental health;
- Have a wide and deep experience in all facets of university administration with an emphasis on academic programs;
- Be not more than sixty-five (65) years of age on the 10th February 2021;
- Be morally sound and have proven integrity
- Be someone who appreciates and acts on merit and who will resist undue pressure;
- He / She should submit a short statement of his/her vision for the University, not exceeding 1,000 words.
Terms and Conditions of Service Applicable to the Post
- The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in all Nigerian Federal Universities and may be determined from time to time by the Government / Governing Council as appropriate.