IsDB-TWAS Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme
21 Least Developed Member Countries of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) are eligible for an ambitious new postdoctoral programme offered by Islamic Development Bank and TWAS.
The fellowships will support research related to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, providing recipients with high-level training in areas relevant to sustainability science.
Deadline: 8 June yearly
Partner Organizations: Islamic Development Bank
Host country: Developing countries in the South
Minimum degree held: PhD
Duration: From 3 to 6 months
Age limit: 45
Sandwich option: no
IsDB-TWAS Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme are tenable at centres of excellence in developing countries,
i.e. research institutions with a well-established record in research and a demonstrated competency in a field relevant to sustainability science.
A host centre should be identified by the candidate based on his/her particular area of research. In the latter case,
TWAS and the scientific reviewers associated with the evaluation process for selecting the awards will make a decision on the suitability of the host institute proposed by the candidate.
In all cases, the host centre must be located in a developing country. An example of a valid host centre is provided by the TWAS-CAS Centres of Excellence (https://twas.org/cas-twas-centres-excellence).
IsDB-TWAS Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme is tenable for a minimum period of three months to a maximum period of six months.
They are awarded to young scientists from 21 IsDB Least Developed Member Countries (LDMCs) to enable them to undertake postdoctoral research in areas of science relevant to sustainability science (see list in guidelines below).
Through the Fellowships, the selected scientist will be provided with a monthly allowance on the basis of the cost of living in the host country to cover expenses such as accommodation, food and health insurance.
The fellowship award will offer an allowance for bench fee costs up to USD 2,565 as a contribution towards laboratory expenses necessary for the awardee’s research.
The fellowship award will also cover the cost of a round-trip air ticket up to USD1,000. Any other travel needed, including airport transfers and local transportation, will be the awardee’s responsibility.
Information about living conditions, such as possibilities of accommodation, transportation, and any other issues related to the candidate’s stay in the host country must be obtained directly from the host institution. Neither TWAS nor IsDB can provide this information.
IsDB-TWAS Postdoctoral Fellowship programme provides support for research projects in the following fields (please refer to the guidelines for details):
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Education for Sustainable Development
- Climate Change
- Sustainable cities
- Responsible growth
- Waste management
- Population growth
- Green chemistry
- Plastic pollution and Micro-plastics
- Water and hygiene
Applicants for IsDB-TWAS Postdoctoral Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a PhD degree in an area of science relevant to the research area of the Fellowship programme
- Age up to 45 years
- Has preferably 5 years of experience in the field of research after the PhD
- The host Institute must be in a developing country
- Provide an official acceptance letter from the Host Institute
- Must be a national of and resident in an IsDB LDMC
- Must be employed at an institution in his/her home country
Awarded scholars must:
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship
- Present a research plan agreed upon by her/his host supervisor
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members
- Be autonomous in regard to visa application, health insurance and housing in the host country
How to apply:
- Applications must be submitted only online via the link at the bottom of the webpage.
- Applications submitted by any other means will not be considered
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your electronic application, as early as possible
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Please note that a researcher may only submit one application at a time and for only one kind of grant or fellowship (i.e. either an IsDB-TWAS Fellowship or a TWAS Research Grant or the OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship).
- For any queries please write to email@example.com
When to apply
The deadline for receiving applications is 8 June per year.
We strongly recommend that you do not wait until the deadline but submit the application as early as you can to enable us to process your application as quickly as possible.
Opening Date: 25 February yearly