Bernard Buckman Scholarship 2022
Deadline: 20 February 2022
The Bernard Buckman Scholarship was established in 1992 with generous support by Mrs Buckman in memory of her late husband who was a Governor of the School. There is one Bernard Buckman Scholarship 2022 available.
- The full-time MA Chinese Studies programme
- The full-time MA Advanced Chinese Studies programme
- Part-time programmes are not eligible
- Open to applicants paying fees at the UK/EU rate only.
- Applicants must possess a good honours degree from a UK university or an equivalent institution recognised by SOAS.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue the full-time MA Chinese Studies or MA Advanced Chinese Studies programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline – 20 February 2022
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2022. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Please note that most scholarships do not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals. Please check the wording of your scholarship offer carefully to see if you are eligible for a Pre-sessional course or whether you need to achieve SOAS direct entry scores by the deadline specified in your scholarship terms and conditions.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 15:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2022.
- In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must also submit a complete online application to the full-time MA Chinese Studies. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks before the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2022). Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should prepare to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Number of applications normally received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by end-June. If you have not heard from us by end-June, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
Applicants must submit a complete on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to the full-time MA Chinese Studies or MA Advanced Chinese Studies at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement.
The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year.
You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks before the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2022).
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 15:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2022.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line application form which will open on 23 January 2022.
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships department: