Table of Contents
Bernard Buckman Scholarship 2022
The Bernard Buckman Scholarship was established in 1992 with generous support by Mrs. Buckman in memory of her late husband who was a Governor of the School. There is one Bernard Buckman Scholarship available.
- The full-time MA Chinese Studies program
- The full-time MA Advanced Chinese Studies program
- Part-time programs are not eligible
- Open to applicants paying fees at the UK/EU rate only.
- Applicants must possess a good honors degree from a UK university or an equivalent institution recognized by SOAS.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue the full-time MA Chinese Studies or MA Advanced Chinese Studies program at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline – 20 February 2022
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2022. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Please note that most scholarships do not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals. Please check the wording of your scholarship offer carefully to see if you are eligible for a Pre-sessional course or whether you need to achieve SOAS direct entry scores by the deadline specified in your scholarship terms and conditions.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and your online application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statements, and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline for Bernard Buckman Scholarship 2022
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 15:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2022
- To be considered for this scholarship, you must also submit a complete online application to the full-time MA in Chinese Studies. It is recommended to apply for the program about six weeks before the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2022). Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should prepare to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Number of applications normally received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by end-June. If you have not heard from us by end-June, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your program
Applicants must submit a complete online application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to the full-time MA Chinese Studies or MA Advanced Chinese Studies at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, a CV, and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that a complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
It is recommended to apply for the program about six weeks before the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2022).
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 15:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2022.
You must apply for this scholarship via the online application form which will open on 23 January 2021.
For inquiries, please contact the Scholarships department:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091