Zawadi Africa Undergraduate Scholarships for Women
The Zawadi Africa Education Fund is a program designed to provide undergraduate scholarships to academically gifted girls/women from disadvantaged backgrounds from Africa to pursue higher education in the US and other parts of Africa through Zawadi Africa Undergraduate Scholarships for Women
About the Award: Zawadi Africa Education Fund is a leadership development program that provides university scholarships and leadership development and life skills training to academically gifted but financially disadvantaged African girls, with the objective of developing a pipeline of young African women leaders.
Zawadi Africa was formed with the belief that together with a world class education and the right character development, these young African women will be able to return to their home countries empowered and equipped with the skills needed to make significant,
positive impact in their communities in a continent where traditionally women have not had a voice in the development of their community.
Eligibility: To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, the following criteria must be met:
- A girl who has completed her secondary school examination i.e. The Kenya Certificate of Secondary Examination (KCSE)
- Has demonstrated academic excellence (A Plain or A Minus)
- Has demonstrated leadership qualities e.g. in school as a prefect, in the community, church, leadership in peer related activities etc.
- Has overcome insurmountable odds such as serious financial challenges, oppressive social-cultural practices such as early marriages and Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) etc. in order to attain academic excellence.
- Come from a financially disadvantaged background.
- Has demonstrated clear financial need
Selection Criteria: includes excellent academics, extracurricular involvement, leadership potential and financial need.
Selection: The Admission decision is entirely dependent on the Universities’ Admission Boards. Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview a month after the deadline of this application.
How to Apply: Application for Kenya, Uganda and Mozambique. Deadline is April 5th, yearly
If you meet the above criteria, ensure that you download and complete every part of the application form. Your application will only be considered if it completely filled.