NYSC Terminologies & Acronyms Every Corps Member Should Know
Here are the nysc terms and words all Nysc corpers should know the meaning and usage
1. NYSC:- National Youth Service Corps
2. *PCM:-* Prospective Corps Member. It means, awaiting corper
3. *Green Card:-* This is a colored ‘print-out’ which contains the personal data of a PCM, this document can only be printed out after PCM have completed their online registration.
4. *Call-up Letter:-* This is a letter that NYSC send to every PCM, telling them where the are posted and when to report to the place.
*5. Corps Member* A corps member is a member of the NYSC. A Federal Government kid.
6. *Corper:-* A short way of saying “Corps Member”.
7. *Allawee:-* This is a monthly allowances paid to every serving corps member.
8. *LGI:*- Local Government Inspector. An NYSC officer incharge of corps members posted to a certain Local Govt.
9. *AI :*- Area Inspector. Nysc officer incharge of corps members posted in a certain zone of a state. ‘LGI’ is under ‘AI’.
10. *Book of Life:*- This book is very important in the NYSC camp; hence the name “book of life”. All the corps members in NYSC camp must sign in the ‘book of life’ before leaving camp, failure to do so, you service year will be without form or void.
11. *Double up:*- This is a military slang. In Nysc camp, Soldiers use it when they want to tell corpers to run faster.
12. *Light out hour*:- This is a time at night when all lights must be switched off. At this time, corps member are expected to sleep.
13. *Otondo*:- It means lazy. Soldiers use it when refering to corps members whom they think are lazy, and need more training.
14. *Mami market:*- This is a camp market which is located inside the Nysc camp.
15. *PPA:*- Place of Primary Assignments. This is a place where corps members are posted to serve after the 21-day camp training.
16. *CDS:*- Community Development Service. Just as the name implies. Corps Members are expected to contribute in developing the community where they are posted to