International Guest Scholarships for Medical Students at the American College of Surgeons
International Guest Scholarships are available from the American College of Surgeons (ACS) to young surgeons from countries other than the United States and Canada who have demonstrated a strong interest in teaching and research.
The $10,000 scholarships will allow the scholars to participate in clinical, teaching, and research activities across the United States and Canada.
This scholarship fund was established because of the generosity of Paul R. Hawley, MD, FACS (Hon), former College Director, who left a gift to the College.
More recently, endowments to the International Guest Scholarship endowment from the family of Abdol Islami, MD, FACS, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, and others have enabled the College to increase the number of scholarship awards.
ACS International Guest Scholarships are eligible for this benefit.
1. Attendance at the Annual Clinical Congress in Chicago, Illinois
2. Public acknowledgment of their presence
3. Free admission to selected postgraduate courses, as well as all lectures and exhibits
1. Applicants must submit a list of all their publications, as well as three full publications (reprints or manuscripts) from that list.
2. Applicants who have not previously completed training or surgical fellowships in the United States or Canada may be given preference.
3. Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation from colleagues who have written them independently.
4. One letter must come from the chair of the department where they hold an academic appointment or a fellow of the American Chemical Society who lives in their country.
5. A specific statement detailing the applicant’s teaching and other academic involvement should be included in the chair’s or Fellow’s letter.
6. Recommendation letters should be submitted by the person who made the recommendation.
7. The online application form is designed to help the Scholarship Selection Subcommittee and the applicant submit a well-organized CV.
8. International Guest Scholarships must be used during the calendar year for which they are designated.
9. After completing their tours, applicants who are awarded scholarships will submit a written report of the experiences they had as a result of the scholarships.
10. An unsuccessful applicant may reapply only twice and only with new supporting documentation and by completing and submitting a new application.
The following requirements must be met to be considered by the selection committee:
1. Applicants must have completed their surgical training and be graduates of medical schools.
2. Applicants must be between the ages of 35 and 50 at the time of application.
3. Applicants must submit their applications from the location where they intend to live permanently.
4. After completing all formal training, applications will be accepted for processing only if the applicants have been teaching or researching for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location (including fellowships and scholarships).
5. Applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to teaching and/or research following the applicant’s country’s standards.
6. Early career academics are deemed more suitable than those in senior academic positions.
How to Apply
1. Applicants must complete and submit an application form available on the College’s website.
2. The application and all supporting documents must be written in English. It is not permissible to submit merely a curriculum vitae (CV).
3. The decision of the selection committee will be communicated to all applicants.
4. To allow enough time for processing, applicants are encouraged to submit their completed applications and supporting documents as soon as possible.
APPLY HERE https://web2.facs.org/igs/
OFFICIAL LINK https://www.facs.org/member-services/scholarships/international/igs