Table of Contents
Ehsaas Undergraduate Scholarship Programme
Education beyond intermediate is one of the ways to overcome poverty. However, access to higher education is distributed very unevenly. For example, only 0.4% of the children from the lowest income quintile (from the relevant age cohort) are enrolled in higher education institutions, which is far below the national average of 10%. Ehsaas scholarship aims to eliminate this source of unequal access.
According to the National Human Development Report 2017, Pakistan is one of the youngest countries in the world. Realizing its demographic reality which has a population of around 220 million out of which more than half are of the university-age cohort, the priority of the Government of Pakistan is to work on such programs which give the drive to provide access to financial deserving and also encourage gender equity. The strategy is to create opportunities for a sizeable segment of youth to bring them under the net of higher education and create equal educational opportunities for all.
OBJECTIVES of Ehsaas Scholarship
- It is a paradigm shift in the policy of the Government of Pakistan to support undergraduate-level students who after completing FA/FSc./Intermediate are unable to pursue university education due to limited financial resources. Unlike past financial assistance schemes that were aimed at MS or Ph.D. programs, the Ehsas Undergraduate Scholarship Project focuses on the most critical segment, namely the 4-5year undergraduate programs, which contributes the most to the income of the individual who completes the bachelor’s degree
- It is one of the sizeable projects funded under the Government of Pakistan’s Ehsaas social safety net program which aims to provide 50,000 undergraduate scholarships with an average budget of Rs.6 billion annually. Over a period of the next four to five years, these scholarships will be increased to around 200,000.
- The scholarship covers university tuition fees and stipends throughout four-five years of degree duration. It is a significant step to ensure affordable higher education in all major fields of education including agriculture, arts and humanities, business education, engineering, medicine, physical sciences, and social sciences.
- The project aims to support female education therefore 50% of scholarships are reserved for female students in the overall Project target.
- To encourage physically challenged students, 2% of the scholarships are reserved for them.
- It is a vibrant program that will facilitate the creation of a competent workforce thus enhancing employability factors in youth.
- It foresees to create of a drive for education among those students who have discontinued studies due to limited financial issues.
- By targeting the most vulnerable segment of the young population through this initiative, poorer households would be enabled to come out of poverty, which is long run expected to have a positive impact on individuals, their families, and the community.
- Students who are currently enrolled in undergraduate degree programs in selected public sector universities
- Applicants who have secured admission on merit fulfilling admission criteria of the respective university
- The age limit will be followed as per university regulations for admission to the university
- Students already availing of any other scholarship or grant from any other source are ineligible to apply
- Students who have secured admission to Self-sustain/Self- support/Self-finance evening programs are ineligible
- Distant learning students /programs are ineligible
HOW TO APPLY
All students are required to apply through the following HEC Online Application System:
After submission of the online application form of the Ehsaas Undergraduate Scholarship Project, the applicant is required to take a printout of the application form and attach the following supporting documents:
|1||Copy of applicant CNIC / B. Form|
|2||Copy of CNIC (Father, Mother/ Guardian)|
|3||Salary Slip / Income Certificate (Father/Guardian, Mother)|
|4||If the father is a Labourer on a daily wage/shopkeeper / private job, then attach the undertaking of Income Certificate on the minimum amount of stamp paper of Rs. 50/-|
|5||Copies of last Six Months’ Utility Bills (Electricity, Gas, Telephone, Water) – (If applicable)|
|6||Copy of Rent agreement in case of Rented House|
|7||Copies of Last Fee Receipts of Applicant and Siblings (If applicable)|
|8||Copies of Medical bills/expenditure-related documents (if applicable)|
|9||01 Passport size Photograph of Applicant|
|10||01 Picture of House from outside Front|
Important Note: The hard copy of the application form along with the supporting documents will be submitted to the Student Financial Aid Office of the university only.