Fully Funded Nursing Scholarships for African Students 2022
The African Palliative Care Association (APCA) in partnership with Global Partners in Care (GPIC) in the USA provides a limited number of scholarships each year for palliative care training opportunities.
APCA and GPIC recognize the important role nurses and social workers play in providing holistic palliative care services for people with life-threatening and life-limiting illnesses and their families.
Despite this, the inadequate incorporation of palliative care into the pre-service (undergraduate) training for nurses and social workers, the lack of clear career pathways for those interested in specializing in palliative care, and the lack of recognition of palliative care qualifications by local ministries of health and education continues to be a challenge.
The Palliative Care Fully Funded Nursing Scholarships for Nurses and Social Workers aim to provide an opportunity for nurses and social workers involved in palliative care provision or those determined to lead the development of such services in their settings to undergo specialist training.
Palliative care is a growing area of practice in Africa, and nurses and social workers often feel unprepared to deal with the complex issues it encompasses.
Training opportunities through this Fund are expected to enhance skills, knowledge, attitudes, values, methods, and sensitivities needed to work effectively in palliative care with patients, families, health care providers, and the community. This year, APCA UK has joined GPIC to contribute towards the Scholarship Fund.
Any recognized institution of higher learning offering palliative care training in Africa. Examples include:
Institute of Hospice and Palliative Care in Africa/Hospice Africa Uganda, Mildmay Uganda, Nairobi Hospice/Oxford Brooks University in the UK, University of Malawi, and the University of Cape Town in South Africa.
For Social Workers, the study can also be in form of a fellowship/experiential learning from an institution such as a hospice or palliative care program with well-established social work services.
Such a fellowship will be undertaken from a recognized hospice and palliative care institution and APCA will verify eligible programs through the national palliative care association and/or Ministry of Health.
Level/Field of study:
- Diploma, degree, or master-level studies in palliative care. For degree and master-level studies, those in the final year of study will be given preference.
- Social workers can also undertake clinical fellowship/experiential learning.
Number of Scholarships available:
- Five (5) scholarships for nurses
- Four (4) scholarships for social workers
- Nurses and social workers
- USD 2,500 each for nurses
- USD 1,500 each for social workers. This amount will however vary depending to the option of study, either formal course or experiential learning at a hospice.
- A qualified nurse or social worker with a degree or diploma residing and working in Africa
- Has obtained a place on a desired palliative care course in an institution in Africa recognized by APCA or a hospice recognized by the national palliative care association or
- Ministry of health for social workers who apply to undertake experiential learning.
- Currently licensed in nursing or social work, where applicable
- Able to legibly complete the application
- Able to obtain full support from a place of work to undertake the course
- Able to serve the institution of work for at least a year after completion of the training
- Willing to provide support towards future fundraising for the scholarship fund. This may be in form of thank you a letter, sharing experience through articles, video testimonials, or skype interviews with GPIC and APCA.
The scholarship application deadline
19th April 2023
Should you require additional support or information contact the scholarships officer at APCA by telephone at +256 393 264978 or email to:firstname.lastname@example.org
for nurses scholarships and social work.
email@example.com for social work scholarships.
For more information and application details, see; Nursing Scholarships for Nurses and Social Workers in Africa
Do not hesitate to ask questions in the comment box or check out other opportunities you can see on our website. You can subscribe with your email so we can notify you always about our new posts and opportunities. Do not miss out.
Am Interested in the scholarship
Is it fully funded?
Pls I need fully funded scholarship for undergraduate for s nursing course.
yes, fully funded. apply
How can one apply???
click on the application link
How can I apply, please send me the application link.
use the link