Resumption Date for UNICAL
This is to inform the general public, especially our dear students that the Senate of the University of Calabar has approved Friday 5th February 2021 as the resumption date for academic activities for the 2019/2020 academic session.
By this approval, all students are expected back on campus on 5th February 2021, while lectures shall commence in all departments on Monday 8th February 2021.
The University Management wishes to remind students that
1. Arrangements have been put in place for virtual teaching and learning using an online support medium. Our ICT Unit has developed a robust E-learning platform to ensure seamless teaching, especially for large classes. Students are advised to come along with their laptops, IPAD, Android, smartphones, and other electronic devices to be able to effectively key into this new method.
2. The Timetable Committee has been directed to spread the schedule of lectures across six days of the week. Consequently, lectures for all year 1 and graduating classes will hold from Monday through Wednesday; while years 2 & 3 lectures will hold from Thursday through Saturday. Students must observe social distancing and avoid clustering anywhere outside or inside the classrooms.
3. Conscious of the increasing spread of the second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic, Management has put in place mechanisms for the prevention, control, and management of the dreaded disease. Students coming back to school must complement the efforts of Management by religiously adhering to all covid19 precautionary guidelines as approved by NCDC and the PTF, while on campus.
4. Please note that the University policy on ‘no squatting in the Hostel’ is still in force. Students residing in the hostels are please reminded to take note.
5. There shall be a mandatory temperature check at the entrance to the hostels, classrooms, library, offices, and other entry points. Students should willingly submit themselves for these checks. Hand washing materials will be strategically positioned for use by all. The task force shall ensure that students maintain social distancing and avoid body contact at all times. Our Entrepreneurial center has been mandated to mass-produce quality hand sanitizers for distribution within the university community at highly subsidized rates. Students are at liberty to buy their own sanitizers and use them regularly.
Please note also, that it is compulsory for all students, staff, and visitors to the university to wear face masks while on campus. The task force shall enforce and ensure strict compliance with these guidelines.
On behalf of the Vice-Chancellor, I welcome all our students back on campus while wishing all a peaceful, safe, and very rewarding academic session.
Gabriel O. Egbe, fcai
Registrar & Secretary to Council