Makerere University Scholarships for Female Students – Uganda Scholarships for Women by Makerere University Female Scholarship Foundation
Makerere University Female Scholarship Foundation (FSF) was born out of the Female Scholarship Initiative (FSI) established at Makerere University in 2001 with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.Makerere University Scholarships for Female Students – Makerere University Female Scholarship Foundation
The goal of FSI was to support girls from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds to access university education thus contributing to the increased female enrollment at the University.
FSF is owned by Makerere University Council. The University Council is the primary guarantor, appointing a Board of Trustees to manage the operations on its behalf.
A publicly supported company operated for the benefit of the disadvantaged females in Uganda/East Africa studying at Makerere University.
FSF funds from a variety of sources, namely, government agencies, development partners, the private sector, and individual donors, philanthropic and educational foundations, and provide a vehicle for other donors to support female education through endowments.
Application Guidelines – Makerere University Scholarships for Female Students
The goal of Female Scholarship Foundation (FSF) is to “To increase the enrolment, retention and improve their academic performance of female under graduate students at Makerere University; with specific emphasis on the sciences, and giving priority to applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds and underrepresented geographical areas within Uganda”
Target scholarship beneficiaries – Makerere University Scholarships for Female Students
- Ugandan female students below the age of 25 years.
- who have been admitted to Makerere University on Private Sponsorship Scheme
- Those to be admitted on the basis of ‘A’ level results only (current and previous years)
- Those not admitted on Uganda Government sponsorship to any Public University.
- Those who do not hold any other Scholarship e.g. District Scholarship, KULIKA, FAWE etc
- Those from genuinely poor socio-economic backgrounds.Target Disciplines Considered for Makerere University Scholarships for Female Students– Priority will be given to science – based degree programmes with an added advantage for Bachelor of Science with Education. There are also limited places for programmes in humanities.
Scholarship Coverage – Makerere University Scholarships for Female Students
– Limited to tuition and functional fees only for the stipulated period of study
Scholarship Conditions – Makerere University Female Scholarship Foundation
- The award covers only the years specified for the program.
- Being asked to stay put due to poor academic performance automatically leads to cancellation of the scholarship.
- Failure to complete studies and graduate will require the student to refund all the money spent on her.
- Every beneficiary is expected to participate in the Female Scholarship Foundation (FSF) activities
- Payments of tuition and functional fees will be made directly to the University.
- Every beneficiary is expected to exhibit exemplary conduct both in and outside the University.
- The program will meet no other expenses other than those specified in the award letter.
- On completion of studies, beneficiaries must give back to the Makerere Female Scholarship
- Foundation for its sustainability.The application is incomplete if:
- The recommendation from the Head Teacher of the ‘A’ level School attended by the applicant is not submitted.This recommendation should be submitted in a sealed envelope with the Head Teacher’s signature appearing across the seal.It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that the Head Teacher’s recommendation is submitted.
- It is not endorsed by LC officials specified in the application form.A completed application should include the following:
- A fully completed application form
- Letter of recommendation from the Head Teacher of the A-level School attended.
- Endorsement by the LC 1 of the District of Residence
- Photocopies of ‘O’ and ‘A’ level Academic Documents
- Three Passport size photographs with the applicant’s name written at the back in block letters. (Please do not staple the Photographs. Submit them in an envelope).
- A copy of the applicant’s Birth Certificate
- Copies of death certificate(s) of biological parent (s) (if applicable).
- Hand drawn physical map of LC I /Village of residence with clear directions of how to get to the home of residence (indicate approximate distances in kilometres).NOTE:Incomplete Application Forms will be automatically disqualified.Once awarded a scholarship, candidates should be able to demonstrate high academic ability and discipline.
All applicants or those who will submit the applications should ensure that they receive an acknowledgement of receipt of the application form from the FSF office.
Cases of impersonation, falsification of documents or giving false / incomplete information, whenever discovered either at the time of receiving the award or afterwards will lead to automatic cancellation of the award, refund of the money already spent on a beneficiary / prosecution in the Courts of Law of the Republic of Uganda.
Further information regarding the call for applications can be obtained from the Directorate of Gender Mainstreaming
Gender Mainstreaming Directorate
Room 401, Level 4
P O Box 7062 Kampala
Tel: +256 414 540 184
+256 414 597 907
Makerere University Female Scholarship Foundation – Makerere University Scholarships for Female Students